FAQ Topic: Veterans

What if I lose my military ID?

If you lose your Uniformed Services ID Card, go to the nearest Real-Time Automated Personnel Identification System (RAPIDS) site and obtain your new card. The nearest is the National Guard Readiness Center at Fort Dalles, billed as “the finest single-unit armory in the country” and housed on the campus of Columbia Gorge Community College. Veterans … Continued

Do I qualify for VA medical care?

You must have an honorable discharge from the military to qualify for VA medical care. Email veteranservice@co.sherman.or.us or call (541) 705-0051 to find out if you otherwise qualify.

What services does the Tri-County Veterans Services office provide?

The Tri-County Veterans Services officer provides veteran assistance for everything from disability claims to home-loan paperwork. See the full list of services on the Tri-County Veterans Services page. Services are provided to veterans with discharges that are not “dishonorable” or “bad conduct” discharges. However, the Tri-County Veterans Service officer also can provide help in fighting … Continued

Where do I get medical help if I am a veteran?

If the veteran is on VA Medical, check with your VA primary care provider if you would like a referral to a non-VA provider.  If not on VA Medical, contact the Veteran’s Officer to sign up.  541-705-0051.  If on VA Medical but need urgent or emergency care go to the nearest Urgent Care or ER … Continued

Am I eligible for the Mission Act Program?

If you are enrolled in VA medical care — and live in Gilliam, Sherman, or Wheeler counties — then you probably are. Email veteranservice@co.sherman.or.us or call (541) 705-0051 to enroll in VA medical care and receive assistance signing up for Mission Act Program.  If you are already in VA Medical, contact your VA Primary Care … Continued

Where is the nearest VA hospital?

The nearest veterans’ hospital is the Portland VA Medical Center. There are also VA clinics in The Dalles and Bend. If you’re covered under the VA  Mission Act Program, you may be able to go to the Mid-Columbia Medical Center, St. Charles Madras (formerly Mountain View Hospital),  or most any civilian doctor, if you are … Continued

Can I get hearing aids from the VA?

Possibly. You must have a service-connected hearing loss disability or be enrolled in Veterans Affairs medical care. Email veteranservice@co.sherman.or.us or call (541) 705-0051 to enroll in VA medical care.

Close window