How do I respond if I am charged with a Justice Court violation?

If you have received a ticket for a traffic violation or some other form of violation, there are important steps that you must follow. You are innocent until proven guilty and you have the right to defend yourself or to obtain an attorney for your defense. Because these are not criminal charges, you are not entitled to a court-appointed attorney. The document you received at the time you were cited is called the summons. The summons contains important information and you should read it carefully. You are required to respond to your summons. You may do so by personally appearing at the appearance time indicated on the summons or by written appearance, which must be received by the Court on or before the date of your Court appearance. Any requests for mitigation must be received prior to making payment. As stated on the back of the summons, you have the right to enter a plea of not guilty or no contest.

Close window