Where do I go to get a building permit?

Mid-Columbia Building Code Services (MCBCS) processes all permits, which include electrical, plumbing, mechanical, manufactured dwelling, and structural permits for Sherman County residents. (Structural and manufactured dwelling permits are the only ones that cannot be applied for online, due to needed land-use approvals.) Contractors must perform the permitted work if a property is for sale, lease, rent, or exchange. Property owners may perform their own work in all other cases.

Permits can be arranged in person, by email or mail, and by contractor access to ePermitting (contractors may need to call to have the building address added). Find permit fees and printable forms on the Mid-Columbia website or stop by the MCBCS office at 1113 Kelly Avenue in The Dalles. For help, contact the MCBCS Program Director at (541) 298-4461 or stephanie.ziegler@mccog.com.

For septic or sewer permits, see the North Central Public Health District’s sanitation-forms page. NCPHD (formerly the Wasco County Health Department) also maintains septic records from the late-1970s through the present; call (541) 506-2603 with requests or questions.

Close window