Is there another option besides in court for a trial?

You can request a trial by affidavit or declaration. You and the officer would be required to submit written sworn testimony in the form of an affidavit. Witnesses may also submit affidavits. The judge reads the affidavits and makes a decision. To request a trial by affidavit, enter a not guilty plea and ask for a trial by affidavit (by initialing next to option 4 on your summons and sending it to the Court). Your entry of plea and request for trial by affidavit or declaration must be received by the Court no later than the appearance date set on your summons. In this process, you give up your right to ask the officer questions.

Close window