The long anticipated return of the Cupola atop the 1899 Sherman County Courthouse took place on March 29th as workers from Kirby Nagelhout Construction installed a replica of the structure that was removed over 50 years ago due to having been damaged by weather events and the passage of time. In the weeks to come, restoration and painting of the outside courthouse trim will take place, allowing the building to take on an appearance very similar to that depicted in the William A. Raymond 1905 Lewis and Clark Exposition photo which will itself be on display after the renovation is complete. Regarding other project related developments, work is continuing in the courthouse with the upstairs electrical rough-in nearly complete and sheetrock-related work well underway. Painting and installation of the ceiling grid, along with trim work and floor covering, will continue until late April when major parts of the upstairs and a portion of the renovated downstairs will be ready for occupancy. With installation of the Cupola now complete, landscaping related work will resume in early April, which will include final reshaping of the lawn area, planting of landscape vegetation, modernization of the irrigation system, and installation of steps and sidewalks. The final phase of renovation will take place in May and June when the spaces including and adjacent to the office of the County Clerk will undergo renovation.
The project team appreciates the continued interest and patience displayed by courthouse patrons and community members during this busy and exciting time. Finally, Sherman County has scheduled the dedication of the renovated facility for Friday, September 7th with many details to follow in the weeks and months to come.